2015-01-28 / News

Burst pipe briefly closes Bowdoin dining hall

BY BETH BROGAN Bangor Daily News


A leak in a heating unit in Moulton Union at lunchtime Tuesday forced Bowdoin College students to evacuate the dining hall for about 30 minutes.

Brunswick firefighters shut off the water supply to the leaking pipe and determined that the situation did not pose a risk to students or the college’s food services staff.

Students who had to stop eating and head out briefly into the snow and wind, returned to the dining room, according to Deputy Chief Don Koslosky of the Brunswick Fire Department.

Unlike most public schools in Maine, Bowdoin College did not cancel classes during Tuesday’s blizzard.

Koslosky praised local stores for closing during Tuesday’s storm, making it easier for Brunswick fire crews to respond to the incident, “because that kept the people off the roads and that, in turn, helped us out.”

FOR MORE, visit Bangor Daily News at www.BangorDailyNews.com.

Return to top